Satit Ramkhamhaeng Student Forum - Part of the Satit Ram Student Newspaper
March 29, 2024, 10:40:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You are NOT REQUIRED to do any work on the internet.  You can give me written work or work on a diskette or CD.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Teacher Boris’ Thoughts: English studies: problems and solutions

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Teacher Boris’ Thoughts: English studies: problems and solutions  (Read 156 times)
TBoris
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2008, 02:58:23 pm »

Hello Mattayom 6,

I’ve been teaching English for a while and one thing that I hear more often than not is students who complain that they can't hear and speak English well.  In answer to that I say that it is natural that they can’t.  Otherwise, I would be very much surprised. Why?

I'd like to answer by asking such a question: How can you get fluent in English if you didn’t practice it enough?  To learn a language is to acquire skills which can be obtained only by practicing the same thing many, many times. It takes more than reading a textbook.  So what does it take to be good at English?

The most important thing in conversation is that you understand what foreigners say and what foreigners understand when you speak.  In this case, you don’t have to try to speak with an accent like a native English speaker, but you should be able to pronounce the words correctly.  This brings me to the main point of this submission.

I’ve noticed that those who speak English well must have had greater exposure to the language.  My best Mattayom six students have spent time in company of foreigners in Thailand or as exchange students overseas.  These students have a better understanding of the language which is not surprising.  As I’ve already mentioned above, practicing English in the environment of English speaking people is what makes one learn the language most efficiently.

In conclusion, my advice is to start conversations with foreigners rather run away from them.  I believe that most foreigners would love to speak to you. Yes, Thais and foreigners are different, but different things make us curious, don’t they? Of course, you will feel nervous at the beginning, but as time goes on you will do better. When you start to understand, you’ll be happy and gain confidence.       

Be patient and determined. I know you can do it.  Come on. Write about how you feel about talking to foreigners!

Teacher Boris.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:28:55 am by TBoris » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum